Monday, August 13, 2012

Argentium Sterling Silver Square Earrings

 Well, I thought that I would never get into metalsmithing, however this weekend I tried my hand at it. And as it turns out, it wasn't to bad.  I started with 19 gauge round Argentium Sterling Silver wire cut into 2 inch lengths.  I formed the wire into a circle and flush cut the ends. Using solder paste and my micro torch, I soldered the ends together and this closed the circle.


I used my cushion square mandrel to shape the closed circles into a square.  I then hammered the squares flat to get the look you see here.

These are the finished earrings.  I hung the Argentium Sterling Silver squares on Sterling Silver earwires using another piece of Argentium Sterling Silver as the link.  I wrapped the link with 12kt Gold-Filled 24 gauge wire.  The earrings measure 1-1/2 inches long. 
I guess I should never say "never" to a jewelry making technique.


No comments:

Post a Comment